You know, it all started so innocently. I was going to spin classes, I was watching what I ate. Then Thursday night at Calypso happened in downtown Encinitas. And Friday night at Miyabi (which I didn’t get pictures of because all Japanese Steakhouses are the same). And Saturday brunch at The Tractor Room. Thanks to those 3 places, I give you the 10 (pictured) reasons I might avoid the scale this week:
1. Brie in a puff pastry with caramelized apples, candied pecans, and a marsala sauce. The sauce was really sweet and probably created from puppy tears. It tasted like a dessert.
2. Crab salad with ahi tuna. The ahi tuna punk’d me because I thought it was tomatoes when I took a bite. I don’t like raw anything but ate everything I put on my plate so I didn’t look like a wimp.
3. Blue fin tuna. (Here we go with raw food again. My brother ordered this and made me try it because he’s a bully. And it was probably one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.)
Side note: My brother asked the waitress what the difference between the blue fin and ahi tuna was and she said, “they are two different kinds of tuna.” < —– helpful
4. Thai Chicken Salad with a peanut salad dressing on the side. This was my attempt to eat healthy but salads aren’t healthy when you eat off other people’s plates, 2 appetizers, and a dessert with them.
5. Carrot cake. Easily in the top 5 most delicious carrot cakes ever, and I have had a lot of carrot cake.
On Sunday, my brother went to LA with my niece for her volleyball tournament, so I went to brunch with his friend/business partner/brother from another mother, Oran, his girlfriend, and some of their co-workers at The Tractor Room at Hillside.
No one ever likes dishonest meat.
6. Most of their specialty drinks had bourbon. I can’t do bourbon but there was one drink that looked good. After they told me they didn’t have all the ingredients for it, I ended up with this bourbon/cinnamon/whatever else was in it concoction. It was strong. Really strong.
Still drank it. Still don’t like bourbon.
7. Bloody Mary’s with freakin’ steak in them. Notice that drink comes with 5 “sides” and is served on a platter.
8. Lamb scramble with sundried tomatoes, goat cheese, and potatoes.
9. Peach brown sugar giant pancake. (This one was so good that now I want to know how their banana chocolate pancake compares.)
This is how far we got with 5 of us sharing it.
10. Drinks at Bully’s after brunch that matched our shirts. (That’s Oran’s girlfriend, Denise.)
Brunch was at 11:30 and I still wasn’t hungry by 9:00pm. The food was so delicious and the portions were so gigantic. I had to look online to see if Man vs. Food had been there (he hadn’t) after seeing the BLT that Sarah ordered.
How do girls stay so skinny here? I need to get back to the same old boring food I eat every day in Orlando before my pants revolt.