Saturday was a long day.
I drove over to Michelle’s house around 12:15 so we could head down to Clearwater (about a 2.5 hour drive from Orlando) with plenty of time to make it to the Expo before it closed at 5:00pm. The next two hours went like this:
- 12:40: Arrive at Michelle’s house.
- 12:45-1:00: Figure out the address of the condo were we were staying. (Michelle’s MIL happens to own a condo in Clearwater about 5 minutes away from where the Expo was held. Score!)
- 1:00-1:15: Michelle does random things to get ready to leave. I don’t know what these things are. I kill time by reading a baby name book and find it ironic that Paula means “little” and I’m 5’9”.
- 1:15: We leave.
- 1:25: We stop at Publix for water, PowerAde, Red Bull, and snacks.
- 1:40: We are on our way to Clearwater.
- 1:50: Michelle realizes she left the condo key at the house.
- 1:52: We stop on the side of the road so Michelle can search for the key.
- 1:55: We drive back to Michelle’s house.
- 2:15: We arrive at Michelle’s house.
- 2:17: Michelle realizes she had the keys in her purse the whole time.
- 2:17:10: Paula takes a deep breath and avoids a mild stroke.
- 2:20: We leave town for realsies.
I was convinced we would not make it on time, particularly when we hit a traffic jam at the I-4/I-275 interchange, but we did with about 20 minutes to spare.
The last time we arrived at an Expo so late (St. Pete Women’s Magazine Half), most booths were already packing up, so it was nice to see the Expo was fully open and there were still plenty of people there.
We found parking and picked up our packets with no problem. But they ran out of swag bags, so we only got our bib and a t-shirt. That was a total bummer since we had already seen what was inside the bags on a bunch of other blogs.
We looked around at the booths and then…the booth’s won.
Expos were made for suckers like me.
While Michelle was buying some Gu’s, I noticed we both have the same jacked-up toenail and neither of us have the decency to cover it up with polish.
Right across from the Expo was the water. Pretty, no?
After the Expo, we headed over to the condo to drop off our bags, change our clothes, and head out to dinner. The condo was complete with shag carpet, 1970’s linoleum, and…a loom. (It’s in the middle of being renovated so it can be rented out.) There was also a special belt buckle we found that I’ll save for the next post.
On the way to the condo, we spotted the Clearwater City Grill and decided that was an easy spot for dinner.
There was no one there when we first arrived.
Michelle bought me a beer to ensure we would stay friends and I would not kill her in her sleep because of her earlier forgetfulness.
I normally don’t drink for at least a few days before a race. But traditions that do not have to do with alcohol are meant to be broken.
Michelle and I shared the sliders on toasted pretzel bread (she had Mahi, I had ground beef).
If you ever wonder how Michelle works full time, runs races, and is a mother of 2 – it’s all about multi-tasking. Food in one hand. Tweeting with the other.
Michelle had the fried calamari – which was undercooked.
I had the grilled chicken, which was burned.
Neither of us finished our dinner. We decided it was best to skip directly to dessert, so we walked to the nearest frozen yogurt place – Cali Yogurt.
This place sold everything including jewelry, post cards, cereal, back massagers, and wind chimes. Totally normal.
I had the taro root flavored yogurt with blueberries, kiwi, cookie dough, and mochi (the little white things).
The yogurt made up for dinner. 🙂 I don’t know what taro root is but I do know it’s tasty. The fresh fruit complimented it so well, I wish I had gotten more of that instead of the cookie dough.
After licking our yogurt cups clean, we headed back to my car that was still parked at the City Grill. We’re pretty sure the guys that undercooked our calamari and burned our chicken tried to hit on us. If only they could have cooked our food right the first time, they might have gotten some of this action. 😉
Once we got back to the condo, we called it a night but we arrived just in time to catch this view from the condo’s parking lot.
This view almost makes me miss Sarasota.
I’ll have a race review for you tomorrow. Let’s just say I got the worst time I’ve gotten since my first half. (2:20:41)
How was your weekend?