By the Numbers

I couldn’t log into my blog on my home internet for several days because of some server-side error with my host. Then the firewall at work was raised to Defcon 5 so blogging was out there too. Not that I’d ever blog at work because that would be wrong.

What I’m saying is, I have been denied blogging for too long and now I have a lot random stuff to talk about:

1. After many, many years of “putting it off” (a.k.a., being lazy), I decided to go back to school.

I’ve been accepted to the Instructional Systems Design Master’s program at UCF and I’m registered for my first, very expensive class. This works out perfectly because I’ve been looking for something to do with a bunch of 24-year olds that will make me feel even more ancient than I already am. I hope to be done with the program before I’m in adult diapers, or shortly thereafter. I’m flexible. My work offers tuition reimbursement so the plan is to get smarter without getting poorer. More poor? I don’t know words. So obviously I need to learn more of them.

2. I feel like this has been a crappy summer for TV, so hubs and I have been getting our monies worth out of Netflix. He decided we should watch Archer.

I was not loving season 1. It wasn’t bad but I also didn’t want to keep watching. Luckily, Seasons 2 and 3 got much better. I feel like a horrible person for laughing at most of the jokes because they are just wrong but then I remember that I’m running a race for charity so that karma thing should all even out.

3. Is anyone watching The Strain? I’ve been looking forward to it for months because I loved the book, but the first episode was just terrible. The acting. My God, the acting. So, so bad. Also, I’m having a really hard time accepting that this guy:

Is the same person as this guy from House of Cards:

The second episode was much better so the jury’s still out on this one. I’ll pretty much watch anything at this point because I need a new show.

4. I’m on Day 30 of no sugar. Screw you, sugar. You don’t own me!

Everything is going well. I’m still 5lbs down and I think I’m going to go another two weeks because my trainer promised me a particular gourmet cupcake at the end of the month if I did and I will do anything for a free cupcake. So, I’ll update you all in another week or so. Also, I apologize to sugar for saying I made it my bitch. I didn’t mean it and I still love you.

5. Finally, this week I will be myself again on Facebook. SEE YA, “Rhonda!”

Comments

1. Nicole says

Instructional Systems Design? Just the name of that program gave me a headache. Good luck!!

P.S. I *hate* to be that person (okay, maybe not), and it’s a really common misconception, but the DEFCON system actually works backward. 5 is the lowest, 1 is the highest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON The more you know… (insert cheesy rainbow /shooting star graphic here).

The program sounds fancier than it is, trust me.

Hmm. Does it count that we made the DEFCON scale? Maybe we’re at a 3 then. I can still shop Old Navy online so it could be worse. Once I lose Old Navy, we’re upping it to 2.

2. Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry says

Oh I bet you’re going to make a ton of young and hip new friends at school. You’re going to fit riiiiiight int. And then when you tell them how old you are they’re going to be like “WHAT?! NO WAY. I thought you were 25!!!” and then you’ll look even more cooler.

The only thing I’m watching this summer is Big Brother. I love that it is on 3 times a week, I feel like I always have an episode to watch.

3. Terri says

YAY 30 Days no Sugar!! That Cupcake is going to make you sick and then you’ll do more no sugar and be my internet bestie for life!

So many shows on dude! I’m with Lindsey – BIG BROTHER <3 I just bought the live feeds too so I can creep on them 24/7 – It's a sociologists dream. Then we have True Blood, Teen Mom 2, Finding Carter (a new mtv show that is actually not as terrible as I thought it would be) RHOC, RHNJ, RHNY, Don't be Tardy for the Party, Ladies of London. I have been super busy over here…

Oh man, that would be awesome if my taste buds were altered forever.

Also, the amount of reality TV you watch is concerning.

4. AndreaClaire says

YAY to returning to school! I haven’t found an instructional design course that fits my schedule at the moment so I’ll just happily continue as a technical writer and just creep on your progress.

As for TV shows, I don’t know if you’ve seen either of them yet, but I highly recommend Luther and The Fall (BBC).
    AndreaClaire recently posted..Happy Friday!My Profile

5. Amy says

My husband is obsessed with Archer. I’ll watch and I’ll laugh, but I think it’s kind of stupid. And yet, I still find myself quoting it on occasion. Sigh.

Congrats on school! Have fun learning and stuff.

6. Mz. Teri says

#5 made me LOL…. literally.

So, not to rain on your 30 days of no sugar parade, but you do know that alcohol has a lot of sugar… right? Just sayin.

7. Alyssa says

Congrats on going back to school! I just got my grades from my final grad class today and didn’t fail, aka I am finally done. But as you said, it was paid for, so while I don’t feel smarter, I am no more poor than when I began. And when I did, I thought being done at 31 would take forever, but now here I am, and I’m not using a cane yet, so I guess I survived. I hate new shows, hence I’m watching reruns of Full House right now. I prefer the known.
    Alyssa recently posted..Internet abstinanceMy Profile

I was going to ask what you will do with your time, but I know exactly what you will be doing. Good move on taking the summer off so you can do all the adult things (like sleeping) while you can.

8. Andrea @ Andrea out loud! says

TV does suck this summer. I mean I binge watched season 2 of Orange Is The New Black in a week and I was so sad I had nothing good to turn to when that was over. And it makes me sad because I feel like TV is being crappy on purpose and like it is trying to tell me to stop being a loser and go outside cuz its summer. Whatever.

PS. That last GIF is possibly the best GIF ever