Here We Go Again

If you read my running lovah’s blog, you know there’s been some marathon talk lately. Ok, a lot of marathon talk. Especially now that my year and a half wait is over for her ass to get pregnant, have said baby, recover, and get back into running.

11995309385_e4b118a19c_z

I guess he was worth it. ;-)  Also, it took me five minutes to decide if I was going to use “ho’s” or “hoes.” I need to find a better way to spend my time.

Anyway, I could have trained and ran a marathon on my own, but where’s the fun in that? I feel like my whole running career has included Michelle and I don’t want to change that. Enter marathon #3.

If you follow races, you know the Chicago Marathon is based on a lottery system this year (of course it is). You only have guaranteed entry if you’re fast enough (I’m not) or if you ran the race for the past five years (I didn’t). You can bypass the lottery if you run for charity (ding, ding, ding). Running for charity is a great idea in general so that’s the way I’m leaning. I already have one in mind but I’m still doing some research.

I’m also searching for marathon #4. I’m not sure which one it will be, but I know I’m not going to train for a full and only run one. That seems like a waste of training to me. my chauffer already has a few other races in mind so I’ll either pick my own (maybe in CA so I can see my family at the same time) or be “coerced” into one she picks. Like this one, cuz I’m a sucker for travel to new places.

I know this is a little premature, but I’m fairly certain marathon #3 and #4 will be my last marathons. Ever. Training is hard, time consuming, and I don’t always enjoy it, especially in the Florida humidity. But it will be worth it for Chicago. Not only is it my hometown, but I get to take hubs with me and make a mini-vacation out of it. I’ll also get to see my (non-San Diego) brother who I haven’t seen in so long it’s embarrassing. Oh, and the pizza. THE PIZZA. I’m gonna make Lou Malnati’s my bitch.

zoidberg__i_ll_take_eight__reaction_gif_by_penniavaswen-d6kewzw

So that’s the plan. What does this mean for you? It means a good five months of weekly bitching about long, humid runs, how my shoes suck, and how I pooped in a stranger’s yard. So basically nothing is changing.

Comments

1. Bethany says

I’m throwing my name in the lottery for Chicago. I’m fundraising right now to run Boston for Dana Farber Cancer Center so I can’t go the charity route again this year. If I don’t get into Chicago it may be California International Marathon in December. Good Luck!
    Bethany recently posted..Serious Pie and Holy CannoliMy Profile

2. kathleen says

I’ve always wanted to run a marathon in Napa (wine, please!)… and I think there’s one right after the Chicago, so at least they’d be close. ORRRRRRRRRRRR you could come to Richmond and run “America’s Friendliest Marathon” (super friendly around these parts), which is in November… perfect for racing, recovering, and racing again, don’t ya think? http://www.richmondmarathon.com Plus, Richmond is pretty fantastic.

That is the perfect timing after Chicago, I must say. And I love me some cool weather. Although, I’d prefer it not to be tooo friendly. I like a little snark in my marathons.

• kathleen says

I don’t mind making you snarky signs.
        Mile 12- “You’re not even halfway there.”
        Mile 18- “How’s that chafing going?”
        Mile 20- “This hill hates you.”
        Mile 26- “You’ve still got .2 to go.”

Buuuuuuuuut I’ll also share post race beers with you. So, win, win.

3. Army Amy says

Marathon training, as much as it sucks sometimes, its addictive. I hear you on doubling up – training once and running twice. I’m planning to do the same. After the El Paso Marathon in February, I’ll be doing the Bataan Memorial Death March in March. Since Bataan will be so difficult on it’s own, there will be no time goal, no pressure. Just show up and finish.

Everyone I know who has run Chicago has loved it. I could just never bring myself to train through the summer. Good luck and happy running!
    Army Amy recently posted..EP Marathon Training: 34 Days To Go!My Profile

4. Jenny says

Chicago was such an awesome race. It was the first marathon I actually really enjoyed! You will love it! Can’t wait to follow your training, bitching included. ;)

OMG – I just saw this and totally LOL’d at that picture. You have me thinking it might be “Hoes” — if you’re talking about both of us. Or Hos? We should ask Rhonda tomorrow. I mean, I was definitely waiting on him too.

I can’t wait to race Chicago! The training is going to be a bitch, but crossing that finish line is not.
    Michelle recently posted..How {Not} To Sleep TrainMy Profile

LOL, does Rhonda know a lot about ho’s?

Hoes was my second choice but then that was too garden tooly for me. Then I was gonna go with Hos but then it looks like it’s pronounced like “haw-s.” I didn’t like the possessive ho’s (or ho is?) either but then I realized what my life was being reduced to and had to pick one. Hee.

6. Stacie says

Gotta love those loopholes! I’m looking into running the NYC marathon with a charity as well. Good luck on your training! You’re a better person than me for training for a marathon in Florida heat.
    Stacie recently posted..The Sisterhood AwardMy Profile

NYC will be so fun. If I didn’t love Chicago so much, that would be my next choice.

I said I’d never do another fall marathon after training in the heat last time. I’m gonna regret not sticking to that at some point!

7. Verlin says

1. Focusing on the wrong part of the story – I think “hoes” is technically correct, but ho’s is more aesthetically pleasing. It’s really all about looking good, so I think you made the right choice.
    2. I got about 1/3 through this post and started thinking “yippee, the I-hate-my-shoes posts will return”. They have really been lacking and I feel like I’m missing out on something.