You Never Know What Kind of Runner You’ll Be

I ran the OUC Orlando Half Marathon yesterday. It was my third time running the race and my 20th half.

I got enough sleep.

I ate my normal breakfast.

Everything felt fine before the race.

My legs felt heavy from the start.

It was hot.

I felt like I couldn’t breathe.

I thought about DNFing. A lot.

I walked. A lot.

My feet were hurting. (I need new shoes. Again. Sigh.)

My left shoulder pain was back.

I hated every moment.

Somehow I finished.

I was a minute and some change away from a PW. (2:28:11)

I felt nauseated afterwards.

I questioned why I even run in the first place.

I want to forget about it.

I’m glad I had my girls, Michelle and Katy, there to cheer me up.

You never know what kind of runner you’ll be at a race. They’re all different and when they suck, all you can do is try again.

***

(If you like happier race reviews, check out this one from Michelle.)

Comments

Some days, it’s not your day. Sorry yesterday was one of those for you. I’m sure that heat didn’t help, either. But, I always go back to what you told me a few years ago about a bad race I had–they make the good ones seem all that much better. You’ll have another good one, too. Until then, celebrate #20! MUAH!

I hope so! Florida has a little over a month to get its shit together.

I never thought I’d thank Buzzfeed for teaching me grammar.

2. Caroline says

I’m so happy that you wrote “nauseated” instead of “nauseous”. It’s such a pet peeve of mine :) Sorry that you had such a tough race :( That’s definitely a very frustrating experience!
    Caroline recently posted..Thankful ThursdayMy Profile

True! But I would have done anything to be on the couch during that race. :-) Nice to see you back in the blog world, btw!

3. Jackie @ MomJovi says

FWIW, I’m super impressed by you. Let me count the ways:
    1) Half #20??? Amazing.
    2) Digging deep when there’s no real reason to keep going other than determination. And the race entry fee.
    3) Looking fierce at the finish. Let’s be honest, that counts almost as much as performance. You’re a blogger, dammit.
    4) I know I’m a slowpoke, but if I break 2:30 in my first half in February, I’m going to be doing a super happy dance and people will think I’ve just won the Boston Marathon.
    5) You’re honest and don’t shoot rainbows out of your butt (although that’d be a cool party trick and I’d like for you to figure out how to do that).

And can a race really be so bad when it means you still get to guiltlessly eat the pain away? That’s what I’d be doing. :)
    Jackie @ MomJovi recently posted..A Plague Upon Our HouseMy Profile

Awww shucks. <3 <3

I ate healthy after the race (dumb) but I made up for it with alcohol (smart). I would like to shoot rainbows out of my butt. Or glitter. I’m good with either one.

4. Allyssa says

I ran the Space Coast half marathon two weekends ago and I sucked. I didn’t train and hadn’t run more than 5 miles in the months before. It was hot and incredibly muggy. It was my second slowest half ever. I think I walked the entirety of miles 8 and 9. High five.

LOL *down low*

I really wanted to do that race but I slacked and it sold out. Next year for sure. At least you have the no training excuse to fall back on. Go with that. And at least we didn’t PW?

• Allyssa says

It was a well run event and race and a gorgeous course! I recommend it for sure. We’ll be back again. Hopefully with more motivation in the fall months. Ha!

Trackbacks