The Right Shoes

Here we go with the shoes again. They always seem to be an issue with me. I’ve been running in my new Mizuno Wave Creation 14s a lot lately. I love them. Or, at least I thought I did.

Bunny inspection.

During my past couple of runs, I could tell my foot strike was different. It feels like I’m hitting the ground on the outer edge of my foot and it feels all kinds of weird trying to correct it. If I stop thinking about correcting it, then I go back to the weird strike, which is pretty much what happens with my short attention span.

I decided to check out the wear on my old pair of 11s. This pair has 600+ miles on them and all the wear is on the edge of the heel.

While my 14s don’t have that many miles on them yet, I can tell the wear is starting on the edge of the heel just like the 11s, so it makes sense that my foot strike is different. (Maybe that’s why I was put in stability shoes when I first had my gait analyzed?)

I also checked the wear on my Brooks Ghost 5s, which have about 400 miles on them. All the wear is right in the middle of the shoe and nothing on the heels.

So, I thought there was something slightly off when I ran in my Brooks at first, but it was just because I had a better foot strike and wasn’t used to it. I guess it took getting back in the wrong shoes (and spending my life savings on them) to realize I was already in the right shoes. Of course, now I need to buy new Brooks because mine are getting worn. Who needs to retire? I’m just going to buy mass quantities of ugly shoes since the cute ones never work for me.

I don’t even know the point to this post. If you think you love your shoes, let them go and if its meant to be they’ll come back to you?

Yeah. Let’s go with that.

Comments

1. Genelle says

I can totally relate. I cried a little when purchasing a new pair of running shoes because I thought my Brooks were getting worn out. However, after intense nerve pain and multiple blisters, I humbly apologized to my Brooks and am now happily running in them again.
    I just wish there was a way to replace the sole so you don’t have to retire beloved shoes.
    Genelle recently posted..Making ValentinesMy Profile

Especially when they discontinue them! I am traumatized if I have to buy a new model. I think you’re onto something with this sole replacement. You should copywrite that!

2. says

Have I told you already how much I love that you have a bunny? My husband and I used to have guinea pigs and people always thought that was strange b/c we didn’t have kids. I love when I come across other grown-ups w/out kids who have a non-traditional (not cat/dog) pet. (We no longer have the piggies – they don’t live very long and it broke my heart each time we lost one.) Oh, and Pants is adorable.
    Jen recently posted..Truthful TuesdayMy Profile

Aww, thank you! Before we had Pants, we had two guinea pigs! I love piggies as much as I love bunnies. I was so traumatized when each one died (one I had to have put to sleep) that I swore I would never, ever get another pet. That lasted exactly one month until we saw Pants. :-)

3. says

Nice post! I actually found it interesting. I’m running in brooks adrenaline and love them to no end but was considering switching it up for the fun of it. Dont’ think I’ll be doing that now!
    Lauren recently posted..Back in BlackMy Profile

Just get the Brooks Adrenaline in a different color and enjoy those because some day they may be discontinued and you’ll be forced to switch. Ouch. :-)

4. Verlin says

Maybe try running in one of each, and see how that feels. (Sorry, dude, that is the best I can do today – I’ll try harder next time.) :)