The G Word Update #2

Now that it’s the end of January, I suppose I can talk a little bit about those goals again. Now, when I say I’m horrible at achieving goals I’ve made for myself, I mean it. So just keep that in mind when you’re reading this. Or skimming it. Or just looking for pictures of Pants.

Bunnypants

Remember I lost those 3 lbs that could have been real pounds or just a weekend food baby? Well, I gained those back last week by doing nothing in particular. It’s taken another week to get those pounds back off. So, this tells me that when I do gain weight, it doesn’t have anything to do with alcohol even though I was convinced it was a culprit.

I only drink once a week, so I guess it makes sense but when I do drink, I can really throw ‘em back. (I never have a drink with dinner or “just because.”) Even so, I’m keeping with the no drinking plan through most of February. Mainly because I know it’s good for me and I want to say I made the full effort. Because you know what they say…

36auht

As for artificial sweetener, I made it a full month and it’s changed a few of my habits. I’m drinking more water and I switched from sugar free to lower sugar jelly (which I think I can still eat while racing). I fully plan to have a deliciously artificial Diet Coke with lunch on Friday when we’re officially in February. Right now, I would kick a litter of kittens for one. That doesn’t mean I’m back on artificial sweeteners completely but instead I’m going to go easy on them and hopefully one day, phase them out completely.

I’m also trying to eat more natural foods, so I’ve switched to natural (and crunchy < —- who am I?) peanut butter and from my beloved I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray to real butter (baby steps people). I tried a few new recipes, like those Flourless Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies. Then I tried another cookie recipe over the weekend that I found here.

IMG_20130126_210444

I added cinnamon and coconut flakes, although the coconut flakes weren’t necessary. The cookies were delicious, but a little on the greasy side. Oh, and I realize my two new “healthy” recipes are still cookies. Don’t you judge me!

Last night, I made Parsnip Fries. I got the idea from Meghann, but I can’t find the recipe on her site, so Martha Stewart will have to do.

IMG_20130129_174503

I never tasted a parsnip until yesterday, much less seen one until I bought them at the store last week. They look like light yellow carrots, but they are not carrots my friends.

After I took them out of the oven, my house smelled like a port-o-potty that had been baking in the hot sun. So nasty. They taste ok. I don’t love them or hate them. Yesterday, I ate them with ketchup and salt and today with some blue cheese crumbles and hot sauce. If anything, they are way easier to make than Butternut Squash Fries.

I’ve also been eating a lot of mashed cauliflower lately.

DSCN0159

I am so buying a food processor this weekend and burning that masher. Who manually mashes things anymore? That crap is hard. #NoPatience

Anyway, I think that I’m less successful when I try harder. So, I plan to keep up the good habits but not put so much pressure on myself to be strict and see how it goes for the month of February. Smile

Comments

Proud of you for sticking with it and trying natural things! You could do Smart Balance (olive oil spread) instead of butter. It’s margarine-esque, but not fake. Good for being #vegan. I think the Feb. plan is a good one, but I also think that the only thing that really works to lose weight is to count those GD calories and keep them down. Depressing.
    Melissa recently posted..I’m Not a Runner AnymoreMy Profile

So true. I always tell other people that losing weight is 80% what you put in your mouth and 20% exercise/genetics. It’s so hard to take your own damn advice!

2. Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com says

I honestly laughed out loud about the parsnip fries. I do that stuff all time, find something that just has to be amazing and taste great in spite of being healthy and then I’m majorly disappointed. It might be the reason I have a ton of healthy veggie soup tupperwares in my freezer.

3. wfhmom says

Try this with your cauliflower after you get the food processor. Use the grating blade (like for cheese) and grate the entire head of cauliflower. Ignore the smell (not kidding). Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil, and dump the “rice” in. Now make it mexican rice: chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder…it’ll turn it the color of Mexi rice and smell awesome. I sometimes add veggies and skip the chili powder, or make it with italian seasonings… it’s a great alternative to always mashing it (which I also love).
    I’ve been Paleo for about 9 months, so I’ve run through about every veggie variation there is!
    wfhmom recently posted..Paving the road…My Profile

4. Mammabird says

I bought a potato ricer just before Christmas. Love it. Love it. Did I say
    I love it?
    Sooooo easy to make mashed potatoes.

5. Amber K says

I could not live without my food processor. That thing is way too darn handy.

As for parsnips, I tried them for the first time last year and was bummed that I didn’t think they made good fries. They taste great raw ( like carrots), but were way too sweet for fries. I also hate sweet potato fries. I like my taters savory!
    Amber K recently posted..From Baby to TweenMy Profile

6. Army Amy* says

Pants on two legs! So cute – I die!

I mashed potatoes with a masher for the first time ever a few weeks ago. Oh my gosh. I’m way too weak to be doing that foolishness. I should just tossed the taters in my vitamix!*
    Army Amy* recently posted..Chronic RejectionMy Profile

7. @therunginger says

It is hard to eliminate all those tasty and persuasive treats, so it sounds like you are doing a great job. I opened the fridge last night, and I wanted a beer so bad (stressful day), but I stopped myself. It is those small mental battles that we have to win! Super Bowl will automatically be a loss, so I am glad I have a 9 miler scheduled for that day.
    @therunginger recently posted..I Digress: A Return To The "100%" MantraMy Profile

I think that’s why I like doing evening workouts – it forces me away from the fridge (and those delicious beers and cookies) for at least an hour. :-)

8. Lena says

The secret to parsnips.
    You add it diced to stews, or meat and vegetable soups. That’s what I do with most root veggies. Stews n soups. They won’t disappoint! Now cook rutabaga with carrots and sweet potatoe for your new foot processor! Delish!

9. Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry says

Well hello there new site layout! Jusssst venturing over from my reader.
    What’s wrong with I can’t believe it’s not butter?!
    Also, I really love parsnip fries. With lots of ketchup. Heinz though, the REAL ketchup, not that artificial crap ;) I also got the recipe I use from Martha Stewart!
    Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Jamaica: The ShenanigansMy Profile

10. Margarita (CupcakeCardio.com) says

I actually stopped drinking Diet Coke for two weeks in June after my wisdom tooth surgery and never went back. I tried it again in September at the airport where a bottle of water was $4.50 and a McDonald’s soda was $1.99. Took a sip and threw it straight in the trash. I was surprised with myself. I used to be addicted (like 3xx a day) to drinking that stuff but when I tasted it after so long I didn’t miss it at all. It was hard at first. I bought La Croix packages first (love the coconut flavor), then started drinking soda water/club soda with a lemon wedge and lately I’ve been buying the Publix lemon-lime soda water. I think it’s 89 cents a two liter? Can’t beat that!
    Margarita (CupcakeCardio.com) recently posted..upper body workout: tris, abs and shouldersMy Profile