Orlando Half Marathon 2012

I survived half marathon #14 on Saturday.

Let’s just say my lungs haven’t had that much action in awhile. I ran the race two years ago in 2:05: 38 and I knew that wasn’t going to happen this year. Luckily for me, Michelle is 17 weeks pregnant and slow. Smile

Instead of doing a full review, I’m gonna send you over to read Michelle’s recap. Her race was my race. Plus, you’ll get to see an awesome picture of me and a banana. What I will say is that I had a great time running an entire race (finally!) with my chauffer. I had a whole new playlist ready to go on my iPod and never turned it on. So I must have had some pretty good company.

We made it to the race just in time for me to make Michelle recreate a picture from two years ago that she doesn’t even remember taking.

This year:

2010

There was also time for me to be vain and make her take a picture of me.

We had a few walk breaks and a 5-minute port-o-potty stop. I was just happy I didn’t have the flu and was able to run the race. I felt good the whole time and never felt like I was putting in a large amount of effort (which was intentional since I didn’t want to overdo it). My legs were still killing me in the later miles because of Crossfit the day before. (I know. But this wasn’t a PR race.)

Since a time goal wasn’t on my radar after being sick and slacking on training, I set a new goal to not PW (personal worst). I’d like to keep my first half marathon as my slowest, thank you. And I did. By four minutes. We finished the race in 2:25:28. We’ve been joking about holding hands while we crossed the finish line for years now. Soooo we may have done that for what is sure to be the worst (or best?) race picture ever.

After we finished, we found Michelle’s husband and friend Tracy and hung out for a bit at the after party.

I got proof that Michelle does in fact wear her iFitness belt under her boobs.

That is something right there.

I also got to recreate our other picture from two years ago. #goalaccomplished

I skipped a breakfast invite with Michelle’s family to go to Crossfit with hubs. My trainer promised to stretch me if I came to see him, so while hubs worked out, I got stretched and foam rolled. Yes, I am so terrible at stretching that I paid someone to do it for me. It hurt like a bitch and I actually broke a sweat, which I didn’t even think was possible, but I’m sure I’d be in much worse shape today if I didn’t have that done. My legs are still super sore.

I had a really great race and now it’s time to get back on track for my next half in January.

Comments

Awe, look. There’s a picture of us at the bottom of this post. Well that made me smile.

Glad you had a good race and that you let someone stretch you out. I also wholeheartedly approve of that banana picture. You need to put that on a coffee mug or a magnet or something.
    Melissa recently posted..By the NumbersMy Profile

I think you need to start the same tradition with that supermodel pose you did awhile back. That’s a race photo that can never happen too often.

2. Sara says

Yay on your race!

Just a quick question — how’re things going with your Bodybugg? Are you regretting the purchase or happy with it? I’ve been wanting one for a couple of years but haven’t been able to justify the purchase. They’re now 68.95, shipped, and I think that’s reasonable, but I”m not sure it’s right for me. I was able to lose 70 pounds with diet and exercise, but gained 20 back and have been stagnant for 2 years. I’ve got 50 more to go, and I’m thinking it *might* give me the motivation I need to finish this, seeing the burn in black and white.

I’m happy with it and I still use it. But I will say that after a few months, it lost it’s novelty. $68.95 is a really good price. I think I paid $89 for mine. Honestly, if you think that’s what might help to get you back on track, I say go for it. It’s definitely helped me be more realistic about what I’m burning.

3. Nicole G says

Congrats on race #14! Also, congrats on living in FL where races in winter months are possible. So jealous.

Also tried one of your HIIT running workouts last week and felt awesome. I’m hoping this type of speedwork can help me best my 5k PR in the spring. :)
    Nicole G recently posted..Doubt be damnedMy Profile

I’m jealous of those that get to run during the summer months! Way too hot here for that mess.
      Very cool you tried one of the speed workouts. I think they really help if you keep them up once (or twice) a week. Plus, they burn a ton of calories.

Come run one with me. We can create our own awesome race pictures. Maybe they should involve coconut bras. Yes. Yes I think they should.

4. Tyler Francko says

There is something to be said about running a race purely for the fun of it, without the pressure of a PR looming over you. You made it through without injury, and now you know how slow you can go; that has to mean something right?
    Tyler Francko recently posted..Get It StartedMy Profile

Haha! I can definitely go slower than that. My slow knows no bounds. But yeah, it was nice doing a totally leisure race! Maybe I’ll start offering my running services to pregnant runners so I can feel fast.

Oh man i would pay to have someone stretch me out after races. I NEVER do it myself. I’m always going somewhere or doing something right after and by the time i’m home and showered it doesn’t seem worth it.

Same here. I never make time for it so I thought it would be a good idea. My trainer was not happy with me. I have crazy knots in my calves.