Five for Friday

It’s Black Friday. Also known as the day I’ve never gone shopping. I can barely handle crowds on a normal day, there is no way I could go shopping today without drinking heavily. I will gladly pay more for any item to keep my sanity. Here’s the non-shopping stuff going on.

1. I put up our new Christmas tree. If you want to call it that.

I don’t have the energy to put up and take down our normal tree this year, so I bought this tinsel tree from Target for $20. They had SO many colors. I want five more of them.

2.  I made Funfetti Cake Cookies.

That’s Funfetti cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1/3 cup of oil mixed together. I roll the dough into balls and bake on 350 for 14-16 minutes. Once they’re out of the oven, I shove a mini Reese’s cup in there for instant heaven. I give this girl all the credit for this idea because I would never think to make cake cookies on my own.

3.  Hubs and I went to the in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner. The first thing they did was bust out this apple schnapps.

I can’t even describe how awesome this stuff is. They bought it at Total Wine and I so need to get some. I was sipping it because it tasted so good and they insisted I shoot it because, “that’s how the Germans do it.”

They are Colombian. I am German. This irony is not lost on me.

4. I ate so much in New Orleans that I tried to be sparing on Thanksgiving.

That plate is mostly lettuce and I did go back for seconds of green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole, but I still don’t feel like I ate that much. I was so full that I couldn’t even sit down. Standing was the only thing that made me feel like I wasn’t going to barf. Then I still managed to shove a piece of pecan pie in my face which basically sealed my doom. I woke up a pound lighter today. I’ll let you put together the rest of that story.

5. Hubs was in the kitchen when he looked over to see Pants watching him like this.

She never maintains adorable positions long enough for us to grab a camera but this time she just sat there staring. That girl is so silly.

***

Sunday, I’m running the Space Coast half marathon. I’ve done everything possible NOT to prepare for it for the last several weeks. Everything was going so well and then I basically dropped the ball. Plus, Hubs has the flu and now I have a cough. This girl will be out there cheering me on, so if I don’t make it, I’ll have her guest post about my death. And take pictures.

Comments

1. says

LOVE the tree! Makes me wish we had Target here even more so I could buy one for $20. Can’t go wrong!

Damn, I think you might have just out done me with those cookies! I’ll be right over to have some :)

Good luck on Sunday :)
    Leigh recently posted..Three Things ThursdayMy Profile

Ooooo I like that tree! How shit still hasn’t arrived from Germany so I’m trying to convince my husband that we MUST go buy a tree today. And ornaments. And wrapping paper. And everything else Christmas related.

He’s not buying into it at all.

Sad face.
    Michelle recently posted..I Went Shopping on Black FridayMy Profile

3. Amanda says

My best friend and I are volunteering at the race on Sunday. We will be on the half marathon course between miles 1-2 and the you’ll pass us again on your way back up. If I see you I will cheer extra for you! Good luck!

4. says

I usually eat a pretty low-sodium diet so I definitely feel the post-Thanksgiving bloat, even though I didn’t think I had eaten that much. Too bad there’s some leftovers in my fridge…. I mean, not too bad at all! ;)
    Amber K recently posted..Thanksgiving RecoveryMy Profile

5. says

I’m picking up our fake tree today (it’s a loaner from someone), but I don’t know if it comes pre-strung. We may not have lights on it if it doesn’t because that shit is work and my baby won’t know the difference. I also still need to order our stockings and such because we never bothered before having a baby. Your Thanksgiving dinner story is (presumably) sad and tragic. Stomachs should have unlimited store on Thanksgiving.
    Sarah S @RunningOnWords recently posted..Let us never discuss this againMy Profile

Yeah, it’s not as exciting to decorate when you’re (or in this case, I’m) the only one in the house that cares about it. And I agree. I feel like I should have had at least one more plate of food and 2 more desserts of room left in my belly. Not cool.

6. says

I’m a total sucker for Total Wine, and Apple Schnapps? …now that looks darned tasty… and I’m not even much of a Schnapps guy to begin with. I’m a fellow kraut so that makes me feel like I’m betraying part of my heritage. I’m left with height and a penchant for dark beer. Oh, and anything by Falco. The singer dude, not Carmela Soprano. Although she’s cool. She writes upside-down.

You know, this was the first year we *didn’t* have anywhere to go on Thanksgiving, as my family was out of town and my wife’s family wasn’t doing anything special either. It was wunderbar! Ended up going to Flanigan’s instead. Why I don’t do that every year, I’ll never know. I was so elated I almost invaded Poland! (Too soon?)
    Matthew recently posted..Bacon Bourbon Apple Cream Cocktail, or: “Heaven on Earth with an apple slice…”My Profile

It was awesome. I had schnapps too because it’s too syrupy but this one was awesome.
      Edie Falco writes upside down?
      I would love a Thanksgiving with no plans. Because I would plan to eat a burger out somewhere. That would be my plan.