American Horror Story Asylum in Two Minutes (Episode: Nor’easter)

It’s time to recap season 2, episode 3.

Let’s start with the episode title, because I had no idea what it meant:

Ok, now that that’s out of the way, here we go.

We start out in present time again. Maroon 5, despite a missing arm and having at least three stab wounds to the chest, is alive and kicking.

Like his band, he will never go away.

Bloody Face gets tired of stabbing Maroon 5 and decides to break into the cell that Mrs. Channing Tatum locked herself into. Just when he’s about to attack her, Maroon 5 steps in and stabs him with his one good arm  like a champ.

Maroon 5 and Mrs. Tatum run to get out of the asylum when they become surrounded by two Bloody Faces – who shoot them both dead. Maybe.

Both Bloody Faces take of their masks and as they do the real Bloody Face comes through the door and kills them. Maybe.

1964

There’s a big scary storm happening outside.

The newly possessed (and clearly acting differently) Sister Mary Eunice brings Sister Jude the newspaper. Only, it’s dated in 1949 and has a headline about the missing girl that she hit with her car.

Sister Jude asks where it came from and Sister Mary Eunice tells her it was the mailman. Duh. Sister Jude stresses out about it and breaks her self-imposed non-drinking clause and gets drunk off the communal wine.

One of the female patients can see Sister Mary Eunice is the devil. Sister Mary Eunice doesn’t like this, so she kills her in her cell, and then feeds the body to the creatures outside.

Then Sister Mary Eunice hit on the creepy doctor which he didn’t like so he called her a whore.

Then he put some red lipstick on a statue of Mary and called the statue a whore.

Everyone’s a whore!

Later on, the doctor is doing more random testing on Kit.

He takes apart the alien chip that he took out of Kit’s neck and it puts itself back together. The doctor is convinced that the chip was placed in Kit’s neck in order to watch after him (the doctor). Because everything is about him.

Because storms scare the patients, the asylum hosts a movie night to take the patient’s minds off the storm.

Kit tells Grace they should try to break out again while the movie is playing. Grace thinks it’s too soon to try again, but Kit thinks it’s perfect timing since no one will suspect it.

Lana meets with Dr. Thredson and gives him a note to give to her teacher-lover. Later on, when Lana asks if he delivered the letter, he tells her that she’s been killed and there is evidence that it was done by Bloody Face, which means he’s still on the loose. After hearing this, Lana teams with Kit and Grace because she now knows that Kit isn’t a killer. Lana apologizes to kit and he’s super forgiving right away.

Shelley overhears Kit and Grace talking about the escape, so she wants in too.  When a guard shows up and almost catches them, Shelley distracts him.

While Shelley is getting jiggy in the guard’s pants area, she trips him, he falls back, and hits his head juuuust perfectly so he loses consciousness.

She runs to catch up with Kit, Grace, and Lana but the creepy doctor finds her first, takes her back to his office, and tries to rape her – only he can’t perform. Shelley laughs at him because he has a small hoo-ha and can’t get it up, so the doctor gets pissed and hits her over the head with something heavy.

Meanwhile, Sister Jude is walking drunk through the halls of the asylum when she comes upon this.

And then she’s like…

But then she goes and passes out on her bed.

Kit, Grace, and Lana finally make it outside the asylum to escape. Only the creatures that live outside start chasing after them and they have no choice but to go back to the asylum.

Dr. Thredson notices that some of the patients are missing from movie night and brings it up to a guard. Once Sister Jude is woken up from her drunken stupor and is told about the missing patients, she addresses everyone watching the movie. She tells them there will be no more movie nights because of a few patients that took advantage of it. Only she doesn’t mean Kit, Grace, and Lana. She means Shelley and two others, including the girl that Sister Mary Eunice murdered earlier. (Who was the third missing person? Couldn’t figure that out.)

Meanwhile, Kit, Grace, and Lana make it back to their seats SOAKING WET from the storm and no one notices they were gone. WTF to that.

At the end, we see Shelley waking up on the creepy doctor’s table in a bright light. She begs the doctor to let her go but the doctor says that he had to “clip her wings” for misbehaving. And by wings, he means legs from the knee down.

I can’t say I loved this week’s episode. It was all over the place and didn’t really further the story. I was very meh about it until I watched it a second time when I thought it got better. Or maybe writing these reviews makes me appreciate their craziness more.

Do you think Sister Jude imagined what she saw?

Are you loving a possessed Sister Mary Eunice as much as I am?

Season 2 recaps: Episode 1, Episode 2

Comments

1. Theresa @ActiveEggplant says

True story: Sister Jude was my middle school English teacher. Only she was about 4.5 feet tall and had gray man-cut hair.

I still haven’t seen any episodes of AHS this season but these recaps make me want to start watching!
    Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..DC StaycationMy Profile

2. Tiffany says

Paula, Seriously, this is one of the highlights of my week every week! The whole family gathers around the Mac to laugh and enjoy these recaps! Keep em’ coming girl!

Okay I totally agree on this episode being just meh. Although it was a great ending with Shelly, I don’t feel like the story was moved along at all. I wish they had done more justice to finding out Wendy was killed by Bloodyface.

Right now I think the doctor is bloody face but I also think that’s way to obvious and I’m probably wrong. Also, I maybe think Bloodyface is one of the creatures the doctor made?

Oh, that’s a good theory about Bloody Face. I was thinking the doctor made those creatures and it would make sense if he made BF as well.

4. Lindsay says

I agree with Michelle, I think Bloodyface and the creatures are something the doctor made. And also, I think the alien really was there because when they’re listening to the radio about the storm, it says that’s not lightning they were seeing it was “downed aircrafts” meaning possibly the spaceship? Idk. I kinda hated this week’s episode lol

5. Erin @Quixotic Magpie says

The third person missing was the woman with the poor misshapen head and ponytail on top who asked to go to the bathroom right as Dr. Thredson informed the guard that patients were missing.

I dislike all the alien parts- my husband thinks its because alien sci-fi stuff was big in the 50s and 60s, but I don’t really care for it being in there. :(
    Erin @Quixotic Magpie recently posted..October Book ClubMy Profile

Ah, thank you! I watched the episode twice and couldn’t figure it out for some reason. I’m not a fan of the alien stuff either. It’s like it doesn’t fit.

6. Mz. Teri says

“Err Mah Gerd!” That TOTALLY cracked me up.

I actually thought this episode was kind of humorous, even though each week the episodes seem to get more and more gruesome… and sexual, including the movie Sister Jude decided to show during the storm. (Seriously? She thought that would be a good movie to show a bunch of psychotics and lunatics?) Sister Mary Eunice waiting for the part where the christians will be eaten by the lions also made me LOL.

When all the patients gathered in the room to watch the movie, the scene kinda cracked me up, and all I could think was how much fun the actors must have had acting out their various parts for (some of them) their 30 seconds of fame. I bet the outtakes from those scenes are hilarious!

BTW, my MEB won’t watch the show without me. I think he’s too skeered to watch it on his own… but don’t tell him I said that. lol

Sister Mary Eunice went from my least favorite to my favorite real fast when she got possessed. I loved how she didn’t want to miss that part of the movie! And I think your MEB is looking for snuggle excuses.

7. Matthew says

This show is RIDICULOUSLY spinning out of control. And I like it.

This episode wasn’t a great one by any stretch, but it was SO over-the-top in its glorious excesses, it almost felt like watching CALIGULA — minus the full-frontal dudity and a rather confused looking Sir John Gielgud. I couldn’t take a single moment of it seriously, and as such it lost any of its ability to *really* scare, frighten, disturb, etc. That said, it was entertaining as HELL to watch, but they now that they got all of this out of their system, it’s time to rein it in and make me really care about these people and what they’re going through. Otherwise it’s a virtual Cirque du Soleil of horrors: fun to watch, lots of pretty people doing twisted things, but even though there’s a “story” behind all the feverish operatics, nobody involved seems to care.

Man, I wish I had a meatball sub. :(
    Matthew recently posted..Album Review: “Ram” — Paul & Linda McCartney (1971)My Profile

Trackbacks