Friends with Benefits

Hubs has been super busy with work lately. He’s literally been putting in 70 hour weeks for two months now. So, our quality time has turned into TV time for me. Ok, our quality time is TV time normally, but I have to find new (to me) things to watch that he’s not interested in so we can still watch our shows together.

Last week, I watched season 1 of Friends with Benefits, not to be confused with the JT and Mila Kunis movie of the same name (which was also awesome).

Have you heard of this show? Netflix recommended it to me and once I saw that Ryan Hansen was in it (a.k.a. Dick on Veronica Mars), I had to put it in my queue. I will watch anything with actors from Veronica Mars, except Piz. He ruins fictional relationships, therefore I hate him. Speaking of that show, where has Wallace been? I had to put his Orbit gum commercial on loop just to see him again.

Anyway, I watched the whole series in two days. It was really cute and funny. There are only 13 episodes (sniff-sniff) and I don’t remember the show being on TV in the first place, but I’m sad it was cancelled. It also gave me a whole new appreciation for Ryan Hansen. Meow.

It also stars Danneel Harris, who is my arch nemesis. I refuse to acknowledge her married name, Danneel Ackles, because she is presently married to my future husband, Jensen Ackles.

He’s on the list. That makes it official.

I hate to admit how much I liked her in this show. She’s super cute. Not only does she get to be married to my husband in real life, but her career includes getting paid to make out with Ryan Hansen and Mr. Awesome from Chuck, (< — you should click that link and thank me later) who guest starred on an episode. We get it, Danneel. Even though your super cute and funny show was cancelled, you still win.

I’m still trying to figure out how to get my husband to dress like me. So she wins at that too.

She also wins at looking adorable and rocking orange purses. I’m sad the guy in the sweet spider web pants on the right just doesn’t care.

(source)

My point here is that you should check out the show. I kinda loved it.

So what else is out there that I should watch? (I really want to see The Wire because everyone raves about it, but it’s not on Netflix streaming. Boo.)

Comments

1. Amber K says

My husband just started getting The Wire in the mail from Netflix. Although so far he’s not impressed. I think he needs to watch more than one episode though…

I hadn’t heard of Friends With Benefits, but I am totally tempted to rewatch Veronica Mars. At least the first two seasons, which are the best!

2. Deb says

Thank you!
    Friends with Benefits – first I had to drop everything I was doing (at work!) when I saw that caption pop up in my email… what was I thinking? I just had to know. I’m always looking for good Neflix suggestions – there’s just too many shows to scan and my 1-2 hours at night watching TV is too valuable to check them out myself. (I disconnected my cable a couple months ago – gasp – so all I have is NetFlix). Thanks for the blogs – I love reading them!

Haha, sorry the post wasn’t more scandalous with that title. Weeds is a good one too if you haven’t seen that and the first two seasons of Nip/Tuck are OMGgood. Both of those are on Netflix streaming. :-)

• Deb says

Ha ha – that’s okay, it gave me a good Friday afteroon jolt!!! I have watched both Weeds and Nip/Tuck – love BOTH!! Can’t waid for Weeds to come back. Another goodie is Breaking Bad. :-)
        Have a great weekend!

3. Tara says

3 things:
    $9k for a bag should be a criterion in the DSM-IV. nine thousand american dollars…i can think of a lot of things i would do with them, but buying a bag is not one. not even a little. not even if i was bill gates rich.

assuming you’re looking for shows bc you’ve already watched all of psych and archer-? bc those are big must. i laugh out loud. oh, and do you have hulu?? bc i just found “smack the pony”, a british all-female sketch comedy show that ROCKS, i spit my wine out every time. very python-esque. oh and back on netflix, Spaced is also a big win…aaaaaand i really need to turn of the tv sometimes. also parks and rec. (once you get past the first 3 or 4)

whassername is really unusual, she looks like a totally different person in all her pictures…but that jensen dude is not worthy of his comany on Le List. he is meh at best.
    Tara recently posted..Life Without the MicrowaveMy Profile

Your words against Jensen sting, but at least I know we don’t have to fight over him and now we can be friends.

I just started Parks and Rec and watched episode 4 yesterday. I’ve also seen some of Psych and liked it. I couldn’t get into Spaced though. I have friends that SWEAR by that show so I feel like I’m the only one that didn’t find it funny! No Hulu for me but I’ll still keep an eye out for that show. I love me some sketch comedy.

4. Julia says

You should watch Luther. AMAZING. One of the main drug dealers from the Wire, Idris Elba is the actor’s name, is the main guy. British cop psycho drama. There are only like 10 episodes. I think you’d really like (esp since you and my Boyfriend have the same taste in shows – Breaking Bad much? – he loved Luther).
    Julia recently posted..September 14 – Going With The FlowMy Profile

• Misty says

I can attest that Luther is fantastic. I also like several other of the British shows that stream on Netflix like Midsomer Murders, Murder in Suburbia, Monday Monday, Green Wing, and a bunch more. And if you haven’t watched The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT. NOW.

5. deepsouthrunner says

OK, well I never liked her character on One Tree Hill but now I am a major fan seeing that she is a Saints fan. I think I knew that she was from Louisiana too, but seeing that she converted Jensen to at least wear the hat, I gotta admire her for that one. And I will need to check out this show, love cutesy shows like that.
    deepsouthrunner recently posted..BR Beach Marathon: Week 4My Profile

6. Verlin says

You must watch “Veep” if you have access to it – fabulous, hilarious show.

Also, I find people in spider web pants generally have a dismissive “I-don’t-care” attitude. Perhaps I will keep a pair stored in my bottom drawer at work, for days I’m caring a bit too much.

7. Sarah S @RunningOnWords says

I actually just started Friends with Benefits the other day. I just finished season 1 of Being Human, which I think you recommended (it was in my queue for a long time). United States of Tara was somewhat entertaining if you haven’t already seen it. I tried Spaced and was bored, but I might give Parks and Rec or Weeds a shot. I’m pissed that I can’t get season 2 of Being Human via streaming and I may have been pouting by watching some Star Trek: Deep Space 9. Don’t you judge me!
    Sarah S @RunningOnWords recently posted..Run 4 the Health of It 4 Miler 2012 Race ReportMy Profile

Yes, love Being Human! (the American one, I haven’t seen the British one but I hear they are almost identical) Loved United States of Tara too. So glad you said that about Spaced. I did not find it funny and you’re the first one I’ve found that agrees. Weeds gets better and better every season. Start with that one for sure. And tell me what you think about Friends with Benefits. I will not judge you for Deep Space 9 if you do not judge me for Babylon 5. :-)

8. Nicole G says

I think you already watch Breaking Bad, otherwise I would recommend that. I’m one of those people that just started the series and is walking around going WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME HOW AWESOME THIS SHOW WAS LIKE THREE YEARS AGO?!?

The only other real “serial” show I watch is Mad Men, but I also enjoy Community.
    Nicole G recently posted..It’s the most wonderful time. . .My Profile

9. Andrea S says

I’m late to the party, but I love Parks and Recreation. One of my favorite shows currently on tv. Of course, we always suggest our friends start with Season 2, because Season 1 has a hard time finding its groove (trying to hard to be The Office). But if you can stick with it, it keeps getting better and better.

I will be following your journey through The Wire closely, because that show has been on my “To Watch” list for quite a while.

One of my other favorite shows is “Leverage”. It just finished the fifth season on TNT. Christian Kane (swoon) is in the regular cast and Adam Baldwin (double swoon) was in one of the finale episodes. Totally made my night. But it doesn’t seem to be on Netflix streaming.