Working from Home

I think I briefly mentioned that I started a new project at work not so long ago. I don’t usually talk about work on my blog because 1) a lot of things we do is proprietary 2) it’s not professional and 3) I like to talk shit and the last thing I need is for one of those people at work to figure out I have a blog and then realize it’s them I’m shit-talking. Mostly #3.

Anyway, I’ve been working on a new project for a few weeks and this project allows me to work from home 2 days a week. (I’m a technical writer.)

We have a lot of remote employees at my company but I’ve never been one of them. In the almost 9 years I’ve been there, I’ve probably worked from home twice and that was because either my car didn’t start or I had to be home to meet some contractor. Anyway, I always thought working from home was that mystical glitter-pooping unicorn that I always wanted but could never have. Well, let me say, hot damn it is awesome! My desk at home is like the matrix of unnecessary monitors.

Not only do I get to sleep in later, not shower, and work in my jammies, but I save money on gas, tolls, and eating out. I’m also able to spend my breaks doing actual productive things like watching Downton Abbey and spending time with those I love.

Seriously, if you work from home, how in the hell do you not eat all day? The only way I am able to tear myself away from the fridge is to have no food in the house or workout during my lunch break. Since no food makes husband’s angry, I’m going the workout route. And it’s been giving me 3 days of double workouts. It’s great but it’s also exhausting.

So last night I rested and went out with this girl for drinks. It looked JUST like this but with darker hair.

Also, I stole that picture from her blog.

Two bars, several drinks, one story about a wooley mammoth that I probably shouldn’t have told, one long uncomfortable hug (Michelle is NOT a hugger), and five hours later, we went home. It was nice to take a break from working out and finally hang out with Michelle when we didn’t have a race the next day. And we’re doing it again next weekend. :-)

Comments

1. Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep says

I LOVE working from home, but I really miss getting all dressed up and socializing with co-workers.

How do I not eat all day? I keep a really large bottle of water on my desk, so when I get the craving to eat, I just drink water. And I barely keep any groceries in the house anyway because I’m broke, so that could be it.
    Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Inspiration for Your WeekendMy Profile

2. jlo3133 says

If this post doesn’t lead to everyone laying a bear hug on Michelle everyone they see her then that is a bigger tragedy than Transformers 4 getting made.

3. Marisa says

I agree with Andrea. I keep a big bottle of water nearby. I also try to keep crispy things that are low cal – like celery sticks or 100cal popcorn… on hand for when I do want something to snack on.

And I love working from home, most of the time. Sometimes I miss the social aspect of being in the office, but I like the ability to take a nap, watch a show, do laundry… or the flexibility to go run errands, meet someone for lunch or coffee, etc… throughout the day.

4. Army Amy* says

So I made the mistake of shit talking a coworker on my blog, and the principal found out! Yeah, that was a fun conversation to have. The coworker ended up getting written up because she’d done some not good stuff, but the principal told her that she found out about it from my blog! The principal even printed out the blog post and gave it to said coworker. Not a good day.*
    Army Amy* recently posted..I Hate “Almost There”My Profile

Oh man, that is so awkward. The printed copy might have sent me over the edge. But it’s true, you never know who’s reading and with my luck it would be the wrong person.

LOVE working from home. Oddly enough, I get more work done at home when I have The OC/90210/One Tree Hill/Gilmore Girls reruns on SoapNet on in the background. So strange, but it works! If I have a big project to work on that I know needs to be cranked out fast, I’ll work from home so I’m uninterrupted.

And if I don’t go for a run at lunch, I find myself wandering into the kitchen and sticking my face in the pantry and/or fridge.
    Melissa recently posted..The One Where Road Runner Sports Made Me Buy All of the ThingsMy Profile

I go left. And usually only for a few seconds, but I kept Michelle there a good 15 seconds. I’m not an initiator either. However, I will initiate a really uncomfortable 30 second hug for you when we meet in person.

6. Laura WL says

I WFH 1-2x per week and the cool/funsie part definitely wore off for me. I still like to wfh on fridays and some mondays, but I definitely would get very lonely if I wfh all the time. I also like to dress up when I go in and wouldn’t have a reason to weary my shiny/pretty things if it wasn’t for work. :-) The not eating thing can be hard. Staying busy helps with that as it’s hard to type and eat at the same time w/o getting your keyboard dirty. :-)

7. WFHMom says

Hey, guess what my email name means! I’ve worked from home for about 10 years, and it’s awesome. Except when it’s not. I’m currently working to lose weight that I’m sure came on in part because I’m home all day. BUT on the up side, I’m starting work earlier in the morning and taking a break early to get a run in.
    WFHMom recently posted..Week 24 ScorecardMy Profile

8. Amber K says

I can’t concentrate when I’m on my computer at home. Granted it’s because I don’t have to be doing anything specific. So I can’t even imagine trying to get actual work done!

9. Shannon says

I’ve been considering working from home, as it might be an option for me soon. What I really want though is to have an earlier schedule. I hate getting out at 8pm and not being able to do anything. I’d hope I wouldn’t want to eat more being home. Ha. :)
    Shannon recently posted..Running LessonMy Profile

Oh man I ate SO MUCH when I worked form home one day a week. One day I thought I would be productive and make soft pretzels and then I ate the whole batch. Fail.