10 Reasons I Might Avoid the Scale this Week

You know, it all started so innocently. I was going to spin classes, I was watching what I ate. Then Thursday night at Calypso happened in downtown Encinitas. And Friday night at Miyabi (which I didn’t get pictures of because all Japanese Steakhouses are the same). And Saturday brunch at The Tractor Room. Thanks to those 3 places, I give you the 10 (pictured) reasons I might avoid the scale this week:

1.  Brie in a puff pastry with caramelized apples, candied pecans, and  a marsala sauce. The sauce was really sweet and probably created from puppy tears. It tasted like a dessert.

2.  Crab salad with ahi tuna. The ahi tuna punk’d me because I thought it was tomatoes when I took a bite. I don’t like raw anything but ate everything I put on my plate so I didn’t look like a wimp.

3.  Blue fin tuna. (Here we go with raw food again. My brother ordered this and made me try it because he’s a bully. And it was probably one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.)

Side note: My brother asked the waitress what the difference between the blue fin and ahi tuna was and she said, “they are two different kinds of tuna.” < —– helpful

4. Thai Chicken Salad with a peanut salad dressing on the side. This was my attempt to eat healthy but salads aren’t healthy when you eat off other people’s plates, 2 appetizers, and a dessert with them.

5.  Carrot cake. Easily in the top 5 most delicious carrot cakes ever, and I have had a lot of carrot cake.

On Sunday, my brother went to LA with my niece for her volleyball tournament, so I went to brunch with his friend/business partner/brother from another mother, Oran, his girlfriend, and some of their co-workers at The Tractor Room at Hillside.

No one ever likes dishonest meat.

6. Most of their specialty drinks had bourbon. I can’t do bourbon but there was one drink that looked good. After they told me they didn’t have all the ingredients for it, I ended up with this bourbon/cinnamon/whatever else was in it concoction. It was strong. Really strong.

Still drank it. Still don’t like bourbon.

7.  Bloody Mary’s with freakin’ steak in them. Notice that drink comes with 5 “sides” and is served on a platter.

8.  Lamb scramble with sundried tomatoes, goat cheese, and potatoes.

9.  Peach brown sugar giant pancake. (This one was so good that now I want to know how their banana chocolate pancake compares.)

This is how far we got with 5 of us sharing it.

10.  Drinks at Bully’s after brunch that matched our shirts. (That’s Oran’s girlfriend, Denise.)

Brunch was at 11:30 and I still wasn’t hungry by 9:00pm. The food was so delicious and the portions were so gigantic. I had to look online to see if Man vs. Food had been there (he hadn’t) after seeing the BLT that Sarah ordered.

How do girls stay so skinny here? I need to get back to the same old boring food I eat every day in Orlando before my pants revolt.

Comments

1. jlo3133 says

Short answer, bluefin = more fat, richer color and flavor. By far the best common sushi tuna. Ahi is yellowtail and a step below that, but not bad.

That lamb scramble looks awesome. I showed that to Brandon (who has a “do not eat cuddly animals policy”) and he screamed and ran out of the room. He may have also called you mean.
    jlo3133 recently posted..Signed, seal and deliveredMy Profile

2. Ricole Runs says

I will be MAJORLY avoiding the scale this week, it has been a huge sugar free for all since Friday after work, and Easters not even half over yet so you know there’s a butt load of Cadbury eggs in store for me today! I need that pancake.

3. janae@hungryrunnergirl says

Oh my goodness, all of that food made me drool. I need that tuna, the salad and that ginromous pancake right now.

4. Pam says

I love your current hair colour! Also, I was going to comment last time I saw it in a post – but that yellow shirt looks really nice on you. And yeah, might be a good idea to skip the scale this week until you get back on track! haha Looks delicious though! I visited LA earlier this year and didn’t have anything that looked that amazing, I have been going to the wrong spots!

Thank you! My brother was making fun of me because he says I’m the only person he’s ever met that has red roots (my natural color). I always luck out on the food here since I have a bunch of locals to take me to all the good places. :-)

5. Amber K says

I love amazing food! Although I can’t stand it when I eat so much that I’m still full that many hours later. It always makes me think about what I’ve done to my stomach. Plus, that doesn’t usually stop me from wanting to eat again, even though I know I’d explode if I did eat.

I say throw the scale away. But then I’d be a huge hypocrite, because I actually own two scales. I don’t use them every day, but for some reason I ended up with two.
    Amber K recently posted..Doubting My LifeMy Profile

Me too. I was miserably full for hours but I had so much fun so it’s worth it once in a (long) while. :-)

6. Becky S. says

Holy delicious looking food. I want to visit there just to eat. We ate a bit decadently this weekend ourselves, so I can tell you…I bet the scale (that I now watch) is not going to be nice to me either. At least you got some exercise in! ;)
    Becky S. recently posted..Big Blog MoveMy Profile