No More Trouble Zones

Last night, I got home from work and didn’t feel like doing anything, including eating dinner. So I just took a 2 hour nap. I’m telling you, I am super ready for this retirement thing because I could really get into daily 2 hour naps. When I woke up, I thought about going for a run but my heart wasn’t in it, so instead of doing nothing, I tried out my new Jillian Michael’s DVD that everyone in the world has already done except me.

So here are my thoughts on this video. And keep in mind that this is coming from someone who does a lot of Crossfit, strength training, and running, so take it for what it’s worth.

Pros:

• There is a really good variety of exercises, most of which work out two muscle groups at once.
  • There are some really challenging moves, like a circuit of ab work followed by push-ups (which burned).
  •  Jillian does a good job explaining why you are doing the exercises.

Cons:

• My heart rate was never really pumping during this video even though Jillian talks about your heart pumping through the whole thing. (And I never paused it, I did it straight through.)
  • I had to change between 5-10-15lb dumbbell weights over and over because just using a light weight is not challenging enough for some of the exercises. Personally, I feel like using two 5lb dumbbells to do chest presses or bicep curls is a waste of time. Jillian uses 3lbs in the video and justifies it because you are doing a lot of repetitions. I feel like she should have explained that if you aren’t feeling a burn at all, you need to increase your weight.
  • Not enough repetitions of each circuit. There were 2 rounds of each circuit and I think the reps should have been doubled in each one. Just when I was starting to feel a burn, both circuits were over.

Overall, this video is one of the better ones I’ve done but honestly, I haven’t found many that I think are awesome. I do think this video is good for people just getting started in strength training or for those that want to do something, but don’t want to go all out – which was perfect for me last night.

What’s your favorite workout video?

P.S.  I’ll be back to my regularly scheduled snark next post. ;-)

Comments

1. Taryn says

I like this DVD, but like you said, it’s not the most “heart-pumping” one. What I liked was learning some of the moves (like the tricep-targeting ones) and using them with heavier weights at the gym with more reps. I thought it was helpful in that regard.

For the heart racing factor, I thought her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism workout was a killer. I loved how I felt after that one was done!!

Very true! The video is good for teaching good form too. I’m gonna have to check out that video. Thanks for the rec. :-)

2. iJason says

We have her Extreme Shed and Shred, but still have to open it. Been too busy watching the Chuck DVD’s that I got at the same time. ;-)

The wifey was looking at pics of a local crossfit place and noticed buckets or puke buckets….are these being used often or just for those new to the classes?

I’ve been to a couple different Crossfit places and haven’t seen that, but I have heard stories of people throwing up after because the workout is so intense so it doesn’t surprise me. I think we all know I like to hoard cookies and not toss them, so it hasn’t happened to me. ;-)

No, it is not heart pumping, but we’re not on the Biggest Loser, either, so there’s that. And, no, I don’t ever really feel the burn, either (and I curl 3’s like Jillian ;) ), but I’m totally ok with that because you know I am a super wimp.
    Melissa recently posted..Call for SnacksMy Profile

4. Running Like A Girl says

Haven’t done that workout, but agree that it’s hard for me to motivate & break a sweat doing almost anything but running. Or swimming. I’m addicted to the sweaty, endorhpin high I get after running. I do like a Mari Windsor pilates video I have, as well as 30 Day Shred.
    Running Like A Girl recently posted..Five things FridayMy Profile

5. Dina says

I have this one and it is OK. The ab work is killer.

If you like circuit training, I find Jackie Warner Power Circuit Training to be a better DVD. It is similar in style but I find it to be more effective. It also gives you the option for a 40 minute full body or 15 minute (full body, abs, upper, or lower body) workouts if you are time pressed.

I highly recommend checking out http://www.collagevideo.com/ for reviews. Probably the best place I have found online.
    Dina recently posted..Disney’s Animal KingdomMy Profile

6. Megan says

Glad I read this post because I’ve been thinking of picking up a few of her DVDs; perhaps I’ll avoid this one? I got the 30-day Shred for Christmas, but I haven’t done it yet. Honestly, I’m a little terrified of the Jillian. I can run a marathon, but I’m scared of her biceps and her yelling!
    Megan recently posted..The Internet Diet: Have You Tried It?My Profile

She doesn’t yell at all in this video, so fear not the 30-day shred. I hear that’s a good video, but I’ll wait to hear from you on that one. :-)

7. Amber K says

I have a super short attention span so I like any workout DVD that doesn’t make me bored to tears. As long as it gets my heart pumping and I don’t fall asleep during it, I’m pretty good!
    Amber K recently posted..Leap Day CakeMy Profile