Last night, I got home from work and didn’t feel like doing anything, including eating dinner. So I just took a 2 hour nap. I’m telling you, I am super ready for this retirement thing because I could really get into daily 2 hour naps. When I woke up, I thought about going for a run but my heart wasn’t in it, so instead of doing nothing, I tried out my new Jillian Michael’s DVD that everyone in the world has already done except me.
So here are my thoughts on this video. And keep in mind that this is coming from someone who does a lot of Crossfit, strength training, and running, so take it for what it’s worth.
- There is a really good variety of exercises, most of which work out two muscle groups at once.
- There are some really challenging moves, like a circuit of ab work followed by push-ups (which burned).
- Jillian does a good job explaining why you are doing the exercises.
- My heart rate was never really pumping during this video even though Jillian talks about your heart pumping through the whole thing. (And I never paused it, I did it straight through.)
- I had to change between 5-10-15lb dumbbell weights over and over because just using a light weight is not challenging enough for some of the exercises. Personally, I feel like using two 5lb dumbbells to do chest presses or bicep curls is a waste of time. Jillian uses 3lbs in the video and justifies it because you are doing a lot of repetitions. I feel like she should have explained that if you aren’t feeling a burn at all, you need to increase your weight.
- Not enough repetitions of each circuit. There were 2 rounds of each circuit and I think the reps should have been doubled in each one. Just when I was starting to feel a burn, both circuits were over.
Overall, this video is one of the better ones I’ve done but honestly, I haven’t found many that I think are awesome. I do think this video is good for people just getting started in strength training or for those that want to do something, but don’t want to go all out – which was perfect for me last night.
What’s your favorite workout video?
P.S. I’ll be back to my regularly scheduled snark next post. ;-)