Like a Hitchcock Movie but with Less Birds

Sunday morning, I mowed the lawn and did a lot of hedging around the house. I took a short break inside to get some cool air and water and when I walked back out of the house (through the garage),  I saw a bird chirping on top of my car.

Alright, that’s interesting. I called to the hubs to check it out and that’s when I noticed this.

The one on the car kept chirping and flipping out. The one on the step was silent and would not move. We walked right up to him and he didn’t budge. He just kept staring at us.

And staring.

We briefly wondered if he was dead, but we could see his chest moving. Then we got worried because…well, isn’t this how it starts? You know, the end of the world. Don’t the birds attack first?

The only way to a killer bird’s heart is through his stomach. So, I threw bread at him.

He still didn’t move. It was creepy. I just wanted to avoid this.

After throwing all the bread at him, we did the sneak attack. And by sneak attack, I mean we went out the front door and walked around the house to the garage instead of stepping over him because we’re total wimps.

It’s like he’s waiting for the kill signal that only birds can hear.

Eventually we realized it was a scared baby bird who fell out of the nest and couldn’t fly yet. We guided him out of the garage to the mama bird that was waiting outside and making all kinds of commotion. It took about 30 seconds for the mama bird to give the baby some food and lead him across the street to the nest. It was really cute. But first it was totally creepy. But then definitely cute.

Updated: Go check out the fun little interview I did over at Stefanie’s blog Run On, which just happens to be one of the blogs I stalk. Now you can stalk her too!

Comments

1. Brandi says

Aw I’m glad you helped the bird…You’re better than me! I’d have run inside, closed and locked the door, and let the bird figure it out. I hate hate hate birds! They’re like big flying rats!

2. Stefanie says

Bahahaha! I love this. That would be TOTALLY creepy! But I’m glad it turned out to be a happy ending and not Alfred Hitchcock-y. :)

3. Michelle @ milesforbreakfast says

Birds freak me out. About 5 or 6 weeks ago I was running and got attacked by a crow. It kept swooping down, making creepy noises, and just scaring the crap outta me. Now, I never run on that street. Stupid, I know. But it really freaked me out!

4. Mary says

OMG!!!!!! You are too, too funny! Having hysterics while reading this at work! I’m still laughing! Silly woman!!!!!!

5. Mz. Teri says

LMAO! That totally reminds me of a book I used to read to my kids when they were younger called “Are You My Mother?” by P.D. Eastman (although I always thought it was a Dr. Seuss book because it’s a similar type book). Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Are-You-Mother-P-D-Eastman/dp/0394800184

My girls used to LOVE that book. I must have read it to them a hundred times… ok, well maybe not a hundred times, but it sure felt like that. lol

6. Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com says

Birds are kinda weird… it’s the beady eyes and beak that does it for me. Give me a cuddly animal with a tail or even a normal mouth and I’m good. Ugh, I don’t even like looking at the picture of those birds… bleck.

7. Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs says

That is a BIG baby bird!

Hawks freak me out because I think they are going to swoop down and steal my kids. Vultures scare me because they are scary looking – and gross! Other than that – I like birds. Even the dumb one who pecks at my window at work alll day long.

• Eat:Watch:Run says

Yes! That’s why we didn’t know it was a baby at first until the mom wouldn’t leave. And then of course when she fed it. Also, everytime it tried to flap it’s wings walking across the street, it couldn’t fly. So we were wondering how it would get back to the nest in the tree.

8. LoriV. says

That is super silly! Glad you rescued the poor baby!

I read your interview at Run On. Now why does Bunnypants have one ear?

9. 2blu2btru says

That bird is too cute! As someone who has been attacked by a bird (in my aunt’s car), I can attest that not all encounters of the bird kind end like this; they more often end like a Hitchcock film. ;-)

10. Kim (Book Worm Runs) says

Aw, poor birdie!! I have to say I cracked up at the picture of all the bread lying around it…I could just picture you guys throwing the bread at it and the bird not doing a thing. Glad the story had a happy ending :)

11. Pam says

I’m so happy you saved the baby bird! I had a creepy bird experience on my run Sunday. One kept flying at my head Elaine from Seinfeld style. I started running away as fast as I could (as if he couldn’t catch me???) and he finally left me alone. Scared the bejesus out of me!

I can totally understand why you were freaked out.

12. Nikki @ The Worth Of My Sole says

Oh, that movie was freaky!!! Love the red eyes!! Just stopping by to check your fun blog out from Stefanie’s Introducing post!!! Love it! Look forward to following you to your first marathon. That’s pretty awesome!!

13. Jenny Finnegan says

OMG, the red-eyed bird photo was hilarious! I was involved in a stare down with a robin yesterday and I think I looked away first. ; ) Found you through Janae’s blog–thanks for your sweet “goofy challenge” comment. : )

14. Jessica says

Oh man, this had me cracking up for a good five minutes…especially the last picture where you said he was waiting for the kill signal. I’ve had a similar experience and felt the exact same way. So hilarious :) Thanks for always making me laugh.

Trackbacks