Sushi Pop

Last night, the Hubs and I went out to dinner with our friends K and Steve to Sushi Pop in Oviedo.

Sushi Pop is an ultra modern anime-themed sushi restaurant and comes extremely recommended from Hubs, Steve, and K, so I couldn’t wait to try it out.

The interior is small but adorable.

There are at least 4 televisions playing anime movies.

And all the servers dress up in an anime or Harajuku theme.

I want that backpack.

K and I were wondering how it’s possible something this cool exists in Oviedo…and next to a driving range.

The hostess had a purple wig on that we loved. You can see her walking by behind K and I.

Sushi Pop only serves beer, wine, and saki. But they do have sakitinis. I tried the Kiwi Sakitini.

It was good, but not great. K tried the Chocolate Truffle Sakitini, which was awesome. It tasted like Yoo Hoo. Yum!

I like the pink noire Veronica Mars look of the pictures from the partition we were sitting next to. I might need to come back here and solve a mystery. And make out with Logan. Wait? What are we talking about?

For dinner, Hubs and I started off with the Edamame.

They didn’t give you too much, which I liked, and you could choose whether you wanted sea salt, truffle salt, sautéed garlic, or sautéed shichimi pepper and garlic on the Edamame. (I went with sea salt.)

For dinner, I chose the Oviedo Chicken roll (tempura chicken, Japanese mayo and avocado drizzled with honey mustard), the Yee-Haw! roll (seared wagyu beef with avocado, toasted peanuts, chives and peanut hoisin sauce), and K and I split the Volcano roll (crab with spicy mayo baked on top of a cucumber and asparagus roll).

Hubs had the Bananarama roll (eel, tempura flakes, lump crab and avocado, topped with sliced bananas, honey and toasted sesame seeds) and the Two Kings roll (can’t remember what was in it, but it had salmon on top).

No pics of the Hub’s rolls, sorry. How about an aerial view of my food instead?!

I’m gonna be honest here. I tried 5 different rolls, and I didn’t care for any of them. I thought they were boring and lacked flavor. Even the Volcano Roll – which is my go-to roll at any sushi restaurant – disappointed. The baked seafood on top was crunchy in areas which was off-putting.

Everyone else loved what they ordered.

For dessert, we had the P.M.S.

Again, I didn’t care for it. The molten chocolate cake was dry and lacked flavor. Now that I look at the picture, the chocolate looks like a skid mark and I’m not sure I’m crazy about that look in my food. However, I thought the salted caramel ice cream rocked. It was very different and delicious.

In a weird turn of events, Hubs hated the ice cream and liked the cake, so at least that worked out for us since we were sharing.

Steve had the ice cream sampler, which I thought had a cute presentation.

Steve special ordered the candied bacon on top of the ice cream. *shudder*

The checks look like little gift cards. Well, the worst gift cards ever because you owe money when you open those. :-)

Overall, I thought the atmosphere was great. Because I am the only person out of four that didn’t want to rub the food all over my body like I just discovered land, I’m going to say to try this place out if you live in the area.

Steve and K have been there numerous times and are never disappointed. Our trip was the second for the Hubs and he loved it both times too. Personally, I wouldn’t go back by choice, but I would give it another chance if my friends or the Hubs really wanted to go. Maybe I’ll reevaluate then. Smile

Do you like sushi? (I love it, but won’t eat anything raw after a spicy tuna roll/food poisoning incident that scared me off.)

Logan or Duncan? :-)

Comments

1. Biking My Mass Off says

You are not alone in that assessment. I wasn’t impressed, lots of style but not much substance. I judge all sushi places by how “fresh” the fish seems and just about everything I ordered had a day old feel to it. Never badmouth bacon though, in any form.

2. Kate says

Um, Logan, duh. Wait, who did she end up with? And why isn’t that show on anymore? This also made me want sushi and I feel I’ll, so props to you!

3. Becky says

I do agree that picture makes the chocolate look like skid marks and not so appetizing. Sorry you didn’t like it…but…I don’t like sushi! Although your rolls (sans seafood one) sound interesting. I still can’t stand the seaweed, though. Oddly, I do enjoy a well seasoned ahi tuni…and tasty fish (I never crave these things, mind you)….if somehow they appear I will eat them.

Btw – I like your new comment feature. :-) And did you check out all the May pics I finally posted (sorry…still haven’t got the Ke$ha ones up, due to my personal laptop will not log onto the internet here, no matter what. So…going to be a bit longer…since they are on the laptop and not on my camera. Trust me, you’ll know when I post them!)?Yes, I finished the actual sentence and added a really long (), which could have been its own sentence, but I’m going to keep it this way!

LOGAN. Really, was there ever a thought she would end up with Duncan?

The decor does look really cute but the sushi looks like the stuff you can get a Publix. So hmmmm. Glad you guys had fun!

5. llism says

Check out Bayridge in Longwood if you ever get a chance. It’s the best in the Orlando-ish area (at least I think so)–better than Seito, Amura, Fuji, etc. Reasonable prices, fresh as hell, and everything I’ve had there has been great.

6. Lisa @ lisalettinggo says

I love sushi, but my boyfriend also had a really bad food poisoning incident last year, so now we never get it :( I miss it, but with how sick he was I don’t blame him for never eating it again!

7. foodsweatandbeers says

Sometimes I feel like when places are soooo trendy, they focus too much on a look/vibe and not enough on the food. While all those rolls sounded interesting, I can imagine that they might lack where it counts.

That being said, the Chocolate Truffle saketini sounds bomb.com. And as a big fan of sushi, I like mine raw and fairly basic (no bananas for me, thank you!) Anything with eel, though, and I’m a fan.

8. Stefanie@RUNON says

I LOVE sushi. I am scared of tuna though. Salmon is not so scary for me though. Love it. Kind of sad that you had all of that sushi, and none of them were mind blowing. What kind of crap is that?? Damn them. :)

9. iJason says

The wifey got me into eating sushi when we first started dating and I been have hooked since. It’s ranked in my top three foods to eat. My favorite restaurant in Orlando is Amura and then the Fuji Sushi in Winter Park. Amura’s, Bubba Roll, is probably my favorite roll that I have ever had next to their Volcano Roll. One of the restaurants in Japan in EPCOT is at the top of the list too. A little pricey but the rolls were really really fresh.

Veronica.

• Eat:Watch:Run says

I love Seito and Gizmo Sushi the best. Amura is good but they do too much saucy stuff for me (too much mayo, etc.) Their volcano roll could feed a small, starving country. I’ve heard only raves about Fuji Sushi in WP, but I’ve only been to the one in Waterford and their sushi is TERRIBLE. Their teppan is really good though.

10. Ashley says

It’s too bad the sushi wasn’t super tasty. That’s always disappointing when other people rave about a place and it doesn’t live up to the hype. I’m a huge sushi fan – I would probably eat it for lunch and dinner for months straight if I could. My favorite is sashimi because if the fish is fresh, the flavor really stands out on it’s own and doesn’t need any sauces or accompaniments with it.

Definitely Logan. No question. I’m so sad that show is no longer on =(

11. Mz. Teri says

I’ve been to Sushi Pop before with a Sushi Lovers Meetup group, and I have to agree that the atmosphere is much better than the food. I also thought the food was a bit pricey for the quality. I don’t remember what I had, but I do remember that is was just OK.

12. Katie says

I was vegetarian for 14 years, so my first sushi experiences were without raw fish. I’ve tried some of the fish ones, but I’m not used to the flavor of fish yet (just became unvegetarian within the past year). Instead, I love the vegetarian rolls. Tempura avocado rolls are my favorite, but I like the cucumber or ‘pumpkin skin’ (kampyo) too.

Now I want some sushi.

13. Aarika says

Even if the food isn’t the greatest, I think I would go solely to experience the atmosphere. Looks so bubbly and fun!

14. Stephanie says

Logan. Duh!! I went through a phase where I wanted to BE Veronica Mars – all tough girl and kick ass :) Wait – maybe I’m still in that phase!