Yesterday ended up being a full rest day. No workouts for me. Then I thought about getting up and running this morning, but didn’t. Maybe I’ll do a short run tonight. Or maybe I won’t. I’m not sure if I’m feeling it. I’m definitely feeling indecisive though. :-)
Instead of a regular workout last night, I worked my arm muscles cutting a butternut squash. I’ve seen the Butternut Squash Fries recipe on Hungry Girl for years now and have had all intentions to make them, but it just never happened. I even got a Butternut Squash for a birthday present a few years ago (I’m serious about that. And easy to please), but never made the fries.
You’re all probably reading this thinking, “I’ve been making those for 4 years now” but it’s new to me. It’s also one of my goals. So, for the two of you that have never done this before, I give you:
Butternut Squash Fries
1. Make sure you have a large, sharp knife. (I’m pretty sure mine is from 1976, so cutting up the squash was a real b!tch.)
2. Cut off the ends of the squash.
3. Slice the squash in half vertically (and hopefully more centered than I did) and scoop out all seeds and pulp.
4. Cut up the squash into smaller pieces. (It’s probably best to lay the squash face down, slice it vertically again, and then in half. What I did was a big mess.)
5. Cut off the skin of the squash and then cut squash into fry shape.
5a. Realize you need to take your nailpolish off because you look like a hooker.
6. Don’t lose one of those.
7. Place fries on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.
8. Add salt. (I used sea salt, but I’m sure any type will work. Hungry Girl suggests Kosher salt.)
9. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Then flip the fries and bake for another 20 minutes.
10. Eat with ketchup!
I really thought I screwed up on the burned ones, but honestly, I liked the burned ones the best. Even the hubs loved them and thought they tasted a lot like potato french fries. If these are so good, why aren’t they everywhere as healthier options instead of fries? I don’t get it. I also don’t get what took me so long to make them, but I am SO hooked now.
Do you love Butternut Squash Fries?
What’s your favorite healthy recipe that has 4 ingredients or less?