Pleasantly Surprised

(last night’s) Workout: Martial arts fitness class (45 min), plus a 1 mile run after class

My hubs is on a workout rampage. Every now and then, he gives up exercising his thumbs playing Street Fighter and wants to work out like a maniac. Now is one of those times. So, the mile run invite after class that hubs usually pretends he didn’t hear, he said yes to. That works for me, because I will gladly add that mile to my 1000 miles in 2011 challenge.

After our workout, a smoothie was had (by me) and we watched a couple of shows on the DVR, including Chuck. I didn’t cry during the show this week, so I’ll consider that a win.

After giving the DVR some love, we wiped all the dust off the coffee table and found this little treasure from Netflix:

Good thing I’ve been paying for that to sit on my coffee table for a month and a half. My movie watching has been lacking lately, so I was ready to let the DVR rest and fire up the Blu-ray.

Honestly, I didn’t really want to see Kick-Ass but heard from most people that it was good, so I decided to give it a try. It’s just that kid from Superbad annoys the crap out of me and I wasn’t sure I could handle a movie staring him.

Am I the only one that had no clue this movie is rated R and super violent? I thought I was going to watch another Scott Pilgrim and realized that wasn’t the case 20 minutes in when the F-bombs started flying.

Everything about the movie trailer and even the poster made me think it was a kid’s movie.

Even though the movie was nothing like what I expected, I liked it…A LOT. The little girl in the movie reminded me of Natalie Portman in The Professional.

What can I say? I like an ass-kicking 11-year old.

Hubs liked the movie enough to proclaim he was going to buy it. Oh, and I teared up a little in the movie which didn’t surprise me since I also cried the first time I saw Speed. I think that nicely made up for the episode of Chuck I didn’t cry in. A day isn’t a day without crying over something insignificant.

After the movie, Pants started acting cute as usual. Great thing about bunnies = they are perfectly happy in a box with some newspaper.

If kids were this way, maybe I’d have some already.

Now I’m trying to decide if I should give blood today. The blood mobile is going to be outside of my work but I really haven’t eaten enough to justify it. However, it’s always fun weighing yourself the day after. One pound is one pound, people. Even if it lasts for a day.

Do you give blood? (This is terrible, but I hate needles, so I only do it for the free cholesterol tests. I know. I’m going to hell.)

What movie have you watched recently that you didn’t think you would like but ended up loving? (Kick-Ass for me, but I also thought I would hate The Iron Giant and The Last Samurai and loved those too.)

Comments

1. Lisa says

My husband is OBSESSED with Kick-Ass… also went out and bought it after watching it on Netflix (and hasn’t bought a movie in years)… begged and begged me to watch it, I kept refusing. Finally it was on HBO (?) and I was in the room for the one scene, can’t remember- drug dealers?? Everyone ends up in a bloody deadly heap at the end… I was like WTH IS THIS?! lol. Needless to say, I refused to finish it. But yeah, he loves. ;)
    Everytime I try to give blood they tell me I am too anemic and can’t take it. Bummer.

2. iJason says

It’s not really a movie but a TV show, Chuck. The commercials never really caught my eye but I rented Season 1 a little while ago and now I am hooked! I just finished the second season and now I’m eagerly awaiting discs 1 & 2 from BB for Season 3. I may have to interrupt one of the other season discs afterwards to catch Kick Ass though.

3. 2blu2btru says

I am almost never eligible to give blood when they have a drive. Either I’ve been sick too recent or am sick (once upon a time, I was too thin–a LONG time ago ;-) ). I need to, though, as I have one of the O types, and it might save a bunch of lives or something.

I was surprised by two movies recently: The Blind Side, which I expected to be gimmicky and tired, but was really good, and Eat Pray Love–I’d heard such horrible things about it. Other than being a little long, EPL was good. Then again, I haven’t read the book yet, so maybe that’s where the problem lies?

I’ve had Letters to Juliet sitting on the table for a while myself, but I just got Fair Game Saturday. Decisions, decisions.

• Eat:Watch:Run says

I read Eat Pray Love and didn’t care for it much (I mean, I liked parts of it but others not so much) so I didn’t see it. But I do love me some James Franco so it’s tempting now that you say it’s good. :-)

4. Leigh says

I seriously hate getting my blood taken so I never volunteer to. The last time I had it done was for my life insurance and she couldn’t get it in [that's what he said], so it took her three tries and then I puked after. Wonderful I know.

So I don’t blame you if you don’t donate some!

5. Mz. Teri says

I used to give blood all the time… until the blood bank people decided that, because I lived in the UK for several months during the time mad cow disease was prevalent, my blood was no good. (But I didn’t eat the beef while I was there!) :( Anyway, it’s there loss because I was a lil donor!

Kick-Ass… I’ve seen it… although I can’t remember exactly when and where and with whom. I can’t say I enjoyed the movie… maybe it was the violence or maybe I just thought it was a bit *too* stupid for me, I’m not sure. I did enjoy the 11 yr. old girl’s role though… and I agree with you about the Natalie Portman comment. :)

• Mz. Teri says

Wow… I really screwed up that last sentence in the first paragraph, so let me try again…
      Anyway, it’s their loss because I was a good lil donor! :)

6. Stefanie@RUNON! says

I felt that way about Scott Pilgrim. I really didn’t want to watch it, but I liked it quite a bit after I saw it. :)

Oh, by the way, I should have listened to you about Buried. I kept on thinking, is he really going to be in the box the entire time?? And then I remembered what you said…Yeah. LAME.

7. Ashley says

As much I would love to give blood, I’m just too big of a baby to actually go through with it. The needles terrify me! I’ll have to settle for giving back to society in some other non-needle manner!

8. Cely says

The King’s Speech. Looked so boring. And I LOVE it.

Also, my boyfriend and I had a HUGE fight over that movie Paul about the alien. I even cried trying to get out of it, but it was cute and I laughed a lot. Of course I had to laugh really quietly because I don’t want him to know he was right…

9. Running Girl says

I can’t give blood, because I’m really anemic. I used to give all the time, and it makes me feel bad that I can’t.

I recently saw Due Date (and REALLY didn’t want to watch it), and thought it was pretty decent. Not my favorite movie ever or anything, but a good way to pass a few hours.

10. kimberly says

my kid will totally sit in a newspaper filled box all day. go ahead and have you one.

i hardly ever watch movies. i’m seriously afraid i’ll miss breaking world news while it’s on. not kidding.

totally give blood. free cookies!!??

Dan makes fun of me when I cry — at everything. What can I say? I’m a huge sap. Oh, and we finally watched Chuck. Such a good episode!!! Loved the twist. They always keep us on our toes!

PS – I hate that I can’t comment on your blog while I’m a work. I feel so lame commenting so late!

12. Kim says

WE LOVE KICK ASS!!!! We were going to go to a Halloween party as Kick-Ass and Hit girl but all the costumes were sold out EVERYWHERE! This is one of our favorite movies and we often throw it in the DVD player in the evening when we are looking for a movie to watch. I cant believe you are just now getting around to watching it.