Hot to Trot

First of all, I wanted to say that I appreciate the 10 of you who have found my blog in the past 2 days by searching “Megan Fox thumbs.”  I would have preferred the search to be “hot girls with short thumbs” or “I can’t get enough of girls with short thumbs,” but I’ll take what I can get.

In a mere five days, I will be running the Clearwater Iron Girl Half Marathon. I’m not ready for this race for a number of reasons, mainly because I’ve barely run since my last half three weeks ago. Also, I haven’t felt like running at all in those three weeks. So, not only have I not run, I have not had any desire. But don’t worry, my “eat” and “watch” have been off the scale!

I’m burned out and I’m not even ready to be burned out.

There’s also this:

My stomach issues that I thought were resolved are not resolved. Just ask the port-a-potties at the Melbourne, Gasparilla, and Sarasota Half Marathons. I certainly showed them who’s boss.

Gastrointestinal issues (GI) have a cute name if you’re a runner – Runner’s Trots.

It’s not cute. Well, maybe a little bit when I’m doing it.

Have you ever looked back on your pictures from 6 years ago and realized you just got the same haircut again? Ugh.

Here’s what I’ve learned about dealing with GI issues before running:

• Stay hydrated
  • Avoid caffeine
  • Avoid artificial sweeteners
  • Avoid high sugar drinks, like fruit juice
  • Choose low or no fiber foods
  • Choose safe foods (that you’ve eaten before and have not had problems with – nothing new)
  • Avoid eating 2 hours prior to running
  • Limit dairy

Foods to eat that are naturally constipating:

• Bananas
  • Plain bagels
  • Rice
  • Oatmeal

By the way, all those first bullet points I did for a full week before one of my races and still had problems. I gave up my sweet baby Diet Coke for a week for nothing. I will never forsake you again DC.

I have had two races where I have had no problems at all. I’ve replicated what I ate the day before those races for other races but it didn’t work the second time around. So this time around, I’m just going to eat normally and see what happens. No excessive carb loading unless I run across a truckload of cupcakes and the driver is looking the other way.

I did find this online:

Has anyone ever used Glutapak? Honestly, I’m skeptical but I thought I’d see if any of you have heard anything about it.

In other news that is not about my poop, I decided yesterday to start a picture of the day on my Facebook page, if anyone is interested besides my Pretty Aunt Mary. :-) I can’t guarantee they won’t all be self-portraits of me in public restrooms, but we’ll see how it goes.

Comments

1. Becky says

Is that picture from Cheesecake Factory for Anna’s Bday? Just curious….also…I look forward to your pics a day. Yesterday’s first one —– the B&W Sunset on the 408 (right?) was cool! :-)

And you know you’d love a pink port-o-potty just for you!

• Becky says

I really think it was Anna’s birthday Spring of 2006. Yep, yep! But, I don’t have my photos in front of me to be sure. And it sort of does look like you are sporting a similar hairstyle…I think now longer…

2. Connie says

I’ve discovered that it happens to me if I push myself too hard during a run or race. I know this isn’t helpful at all, as the whole purpose of a race is to push yourself hard :P. The bad news is if you adhere to this advice, you won’t win any medals. The good news? You won’t poop your pants :D

YW

3. says

I’m loving the tags on this post. Artificial anything is usually to be avoided in my book.

Sorry, but I have nothing else to add. Poop.

4. shannon marie says

When my kids have the runs we give them the BRAT diet- banana, rice, applesauce and toast… Just like yours! Now you can have a cute little name for it!

• says

I’m not sure they sound appealing together, but maybe that should be my pre-race dinner! I’m sure I could come with with some type of toast/banana/applesauce concoction. :-)

5. says

GI issues suck!! I say maybe it will be one of those times that if you just throw all the rules away and maybe it will all work out somehow….I’m crossing my fingers for you that that happens. Have you ever met with a nutritionist??

• says

I know, it’s so random. I did a 15 mile training run before and felt awesome the whole time too. No, never met with a nutritionalist. Never even crossed my mind!

6. says

Rock those short thumbs!! : )
    Runner’s trots are no fun. I didn’t have any problems in my first half but I was BFF with the port-a-potties in the second. ughhh.

7. says

You crack me up! I feel lucky that any GI issues seem to stay away from me when I’m racing, but I totally feel your pain! So uncomfortable and annoying. Thanks for your tips – I think staying hydrated is definitely key!

8. says

I haven’t experienced the runner’s trots yet, but I’ve had my experiences in puking after crossing the finish line. Now that’s fun! But so is spending time in a porta potty. Hopefully your stomach figures itself out soon for your sake!

9. says

i’d be interested in how glutapack works if you use it. i’ve never had runners trots (more like GI issues that got worse while running) so i’d love it if that works!

10. says

Totally unrelated, but you just commented on my blog that you never skip breakfast – here’s my new fav…

Oatmeal banana pancake!

1/2 c oats
    1/2 banana
    1 egg
    a couple splashes of milk
    cinnamon (or sometimes I use peanut butter)

11. says

Dont worry about ever learning my name…just call me POOP girl. I have CONSTANT issues. I was just recently doing the Womens half marathon and around mile 4 I was thinking huh i might need to go to the bathroom. At mile 6 i was praying i would find a swamp toilet. I finally found one at mile 7.. I swear i was thinking of things to use.. and my bib was high on the list. I have serious GI issues so I have to watch what I eat, or my students get a laugh out of me as I fart (yes i did just go there) all around the classroom. I am waiting for the day for them to ask me to fart the ABC’s.
    oh the joy of being me. Ms. Fart poop girl.
    I know you are so jealous of me…and my names.

• says

I’m pretty sure you need to share that name with me. I’m still trying to figure out what’s right. My husband thinks I’m gross. It is what it is. :)

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless