(last night’s) Workout: Walked on treadmill 55 min (3.2 miles)
Random stuff first. My thigh is feeling much better today. Glad I did a light workout last night. And about that severe weather – it wasn’t so severe. We unplugged TVs and computers and I cleaned the house instead for nothing. To think I could have been sitting in front of the TV not cleaning the whole time.
You know what I love? New half marathons popping up in my area. The Iron Girl Clearwater Half Marathon on April 10 is sounding pretty good right now. That time of year is a crap shoot in Florida – it can be 40 degrees or it can be 90 degrees. And this girl sucks at hot weather running. I think that’s the only thing that’s holding me back from signing up.
That view definitely does not suck.
So, I thought it would be fun to post some of my favorite workouts in more detail (you’ll be able to find them linked on my Faves page too). This past weekend, I did a workout with my personal trainer that I loved. I briefly mentioned it in another post, but here are the details.
**Remember: what works for me may not work for you. Adapt the excercise, weight, and intensity to your level of fitness.***
We did 2 sets of each of these excercises.
Explanation of Exercises:
- The excercise looked just like this without a bunch of guys staring at me. Picture one guy. My husband. Laughing at me in the background. We did a full swinging motion on both the right and left side. By the way, please do not do this if you do not know how to swing a sledgehammer. It’s DANGEROUS. Our personal trainer’s husband demonstrated how to hold and swing a sledgehammer and we practiced several times before actually doing the workout.
- They looked like this, but with a 50 lb bag of bird seed over one shoulder. And a lot less smiling.
- We flipped a tire about this size down our personal trainers backyard and back. Use your knees to lift the tire (NOT your back). This crap was FUN.
Kettle Bell Swings
- Keep your back straight and squat as the bell goes between your legs.
- I’m terrible at these. So I do my sets by jumping up partially and then using my arm strength to pull me the rest of the way up. These are so good for you and I want to get better at them.
- Just like this…minus the acrobatic part C.
I felt this workout for 2 days afterwards, particularly in my shoulders, back, and lats. I love a workout that gives you that sore-but-it-feels-so-good feeling afterwards.